From the Hill to the Big Apple

A graduate of Syracuse University’s theater program, Tyler Jiminez ’15, already got his first big break in the industry. He plays Zebulon the Butler, as well as understudy for Simeon and Pharoah, in the Broadway touring production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

Q: In what ways did the theater program at SU help you with preparing for roles and auditions?

A: Before attending SU, my preparation for auditions and roles didn’t go much further than learning my lines and some minor character work. Now I am able to analyze a song, score, and script to find out what really is in the text. I can dig much deeper to more truthfully portray a character.

Q: How did you get into theater?

A: I first got into theater in middle school. Like many, I wasn’t good at sports, and so when I found theater, I found my tribe. I connected with the other students and teachers that were involved in theater.

Q: What was your favorite part about theater in school?

A: My favorite part about school was the opportunity to work on so many different roles. In class and performances, I was very fortunate to try my hand at some challenging material that helped to stretch me as a performer.

Q: How did it feel when you learned you got the part in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?

A: I was ecstatic when I found out I booked Joseph. I just graduated in May and expected to audition for a while before I got anything, so when the call came, I was surprised and overjoyed.

Q: What goes into preparing for live shows?

A: With live shows, knowing the material through and through is key. You can only honestly portray a character onstage if you have done your work in terms of analysis and preparation. Also, with live theater, you must be ready for when things go wrong. Whether a set piece comes in late, or a costume breaks, you must think fast and continue the show.

Q: Do you have any unique or interesting pre-show rituals?

A: I don’t think any of the preparations or warm ups I do are especially unique or strange. However, if a non-actor saw any actor warming up, they might think them insane. Lots of stretching and vocalizing.

Q: How do you cope with negative auditions?

A: I have yet to experience a really ‘negative’ audition. There are, of course, auditions that don’t go as planned. However, what I like to do is think on the audition afterward. I mentally take notes on what I thought went well versus what I want to improve upon for the next time, and I move on.

Q: Who are your biggest inspirations? Who do you look up to the most?

A: I really look up to the alumni of SU Drama who have been consistently working. Jesse Mueller, for example, has had a really exciting career thus far and continues to grow as an actor and performer. I look up to her a lot.

Q: What is the best and worst piece of advice you’ve received about theater and performing?

A: I don’t know about best and worst, but one of my professors at Syracuse gave me pretty sound advice. Referring to deciding whether to take or decline jobs, he said that there are three reasons to accept a job: 1. It is a great career move. 2. It is great financially. Or 3. It is artistically fulfilling. He said that if a job fulfills two out of the three, the job is pretty much a for sure bet. However, if it only fulfills one of the three, you really want to think if it’s best for you. That was Brian Cimmet.

Q: What are your aspirations for the future?

A: My aspirations for the future are fairly simple. I want to keep working. I aspire to be in an original musical, to work with influential directors and choreographers, to break into TV and film, to name a few. I want to get better at this craft and dig deeper. As long as I am able, I hope to do what I love, which is performing.